About Me

My photo
A fun-loving, reliable friend...husband, father, brother; Calm and cool-headed...I have the most adorable and beautiful wife that I can ever ask of God, and the cutest, most adorable bundle of joy in our two daughters and baby son...

Monday 9 January 2012

Spongebob Squarepants or Al Jazeera?

It's so amazing the way a child takes a stand and "dictates" the control of "television programming" in the home. My 2 daughters, Abigail (6 yrs old) and Miranda (2.5 yrs old), appreciate the fact that, though they can operate the TV remote control themselves, they will still ask either their mum or myself to change the channel for them, to whichever they want...

The norm these days (well, actually has been for the past couple of months) is that the girls get to watch their cartoon channels for the greater part of the day, and then enter Miriam and I at about 5 or 6pm- for the series/entertainment/reality/news channels etc...Nonetheless, we still do come in time and again mid-way thru' the children's programming, to catch a bit of mid-day news or a brief check on the different channels.

One such "programming" moment was in progress last Saturday evening- I thought I was doing the girls a favour- Abigail was off nearby playing with her dolls; Miranda was hanging with me though apparently not into cartoons at that time. To my surprise and utter astonishment, Miranda literally "directed" me to remove Spongebob Squarepants, and instead select "Al Jeera" (a.k.a Al Jazeera)....thank God the news item was not showing some gruel scene of an accident etc...

So, now I think, perhaps my girls will grow more interested in following news than myself at that age!! And yet, we grown ups can still watch a cartoon or two, and share a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment